Financial assistance for lead hazard reduction is a key part of the effort to eliminate childhood lead poisoning in Rhode Island, and we’re dedicated to making sure that it helps the people who need it the most.
Many homeowners have no trouble budgeting for the regular maintenance, window upgrades, and other steps necessary to prevent lead hazards. But we know this is far from true for everyone. Low income-families and landlords struggling to keep their families and tenants safe deserve extra help. Rhode Island is fortunate to have several programs that provide grants and loans for lead hazard reduction, in addition to a tax credit for lead remediation and abatement.
- If you own a house in Providence, RI and need help paying for lead remediation, contact Alida or Jennifer at the Community Action Partnership of Providence at (401) 273-2000, ext. 188 to find out if you qualify for the Providence Lead Hazard Reduction Program.
- If you live elsewhere in Rhode Island, contact Rhode Island Housing at 401-450-1350 to find out if you are eligible for grants and loans through their LeadSafe Homes program, or call the partner agency closest to you:
- Blackstone Valley Community Action Program: 401-723-4520
- West Bay Community Action Program: 401-732-4660, x126
- East Bay Community Action Program: 401-437-0006, x173
- Si usted es dueño de una casa en Providence, RI y necesita ayuda pagar por remediación de plomo, contacta Alida o Jennifer en Community Action Partnership of Providence (Asociacioón de Acción Comunitaria de Providence) al (401) 273-2000 ext. 188 para saber si califica para la Programa de Reducioón de Peligros de Plomo).
- Si usted vive en otro parte de Rhode Island, contacta,Rhode Island Housing(Viviendas de Rhode Island) al 401-450-1350 para saber se usted es eligible para recibir préstamos o otros fundos y premios por parte de su programa LeadSafe Homes (Hogares Salvos de Plomo), o llame a la agencia asociado más cercana a usted.
- Blackstone Valley Community Action Program (Programa de Acción Comunitario de Blackstone Valley): 401-723-4520
- West Bay Community Action Program (Programa de Acción Comunitario de West Bay): 401-732-4660, x126
- East Bay Community Action Program (Programa de Acción Comunitario de East Bay): 401-437-0006, x173
We currently have bilingual staff fluent in both English and Spanish working to get the word out about lead remediation resources to property owners in high-risk neighborhoods.
Our outreach methods are creative, highly effective, and tailored to the needs and culture of each community we work in. We promote lead remediation financial assistance programs through door-to-door outreach, targeted mailings, “lead-safe” house parties (like tupperware parties, but for lead poisoning prevention), educational presentations, and partnerships with enforcement and social service agencies.
Over the years, we have helped hundreds of homeowners throughout Rhode Island make their properties lead-safe. Past outreach campaigns for lead hazard reduction programs have targeted the following cities and towns:
- Central Falls
- East Providence